Tuesday 3 January 2012

Learning to love to read

This past christmas I realised from the presents that my 7yr old son got that he is growing up. Most of the presents were books or book tokens, family must know his parents well   :-)  rather than toys as it used to be.  It is not all read, read, read - he did get the football kit he wanted and the PSP game, before you judge me too harshly.

Every since he turned 4 we have been going to the library every 3 weeks to borrow books, initially that I read to him then as he started to read books, that he could  read.  Every night we have reading time before bed and I think I enjoy it as much as he does.  Now he reads on his own and I have started the same routine with his sister, who is just learning to read.  Every time we borrow a book I used to read to my son, it brings back a lot of memories and my daughter is now in the habit of asking, "Did Aden read this book?"

He loves to read and I am sure she will gain the same love of books.  It has been a lot of work to ensure we got to this point, though enjoyable. 

If you do not make time to read regularly with your child, I would encourage you to do so, it is very rewarding and impacts so postively on their ability to communicate effectively and exceed in school.

In case you are wondering, yes I did love to read. I remember been a teen not wanting to get up on a weekend morning until I had finished the book I started reading the night before.   Any of you remember Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew?  :)
Later in life - Stephen King, Stephen Donaldson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...